About Me

My photo
Lover of peanut butter cookies, naps, and Hobby Lobby.

Thursday, September 20, 2012

Learning and Leading

      What I would first like to address is the sentence under "Originality" that addresses originality in the classroom: "Originality is often disruptive in a school setting, but disruptive ideas often generate beneficial changes in the wider world." This is my biggest gripe with the way education is handled today-- we are forcing our students into conformity and rejecting their natural creativity. We expect such specific things that we deny their outlet to truly expressing themselves and their thinking process. Arguably, the most important lessons in life are not learned from a textbook, and if we cannot let students explore their limits, how do we expect them to be successful in the "wider world?" I am not saying get rid of textbooks and structure. I am saying we should look to integrate more out-of-the-box assignments and authentic tasks in order to foster thinking that will be needed in this "wider world" in which we live.
      I'm really excited to look into all the different FFOE web 2.0 tools. The figure that listed all the different websites and which creativity ideal (flexibility, fluency, originality, and elaboration) will be super useful in my own teaching endeavors. I decided to look into Dabbleboard, only because its name caught my attention first. Dabbleboard is an online whiteboard that is mainly used as a flow-chart generator. I think this would be most categorized under "elaboration" because everyone who has access to a certain Dabbleboard page will be able to add their own input-- bouncing off of each other for ideas and new thought processes.

No comments:

Post a Comment